Monasteries and churches of our place are of special interest for anyone who wants to know better the Byzantine and folk art in architecture, sculpture and iconography.
It is worth visiting the historical Holy Monastery of Virgin Ikosifinissa. The Holy Monastery has a long history and involvement in our national races. The wooden temple of the Monastery is admirable and it is sculptured by skilled artisans.
In the area of Nikisiani and Palaiochori, visitors will come across monasteries, churches and chapels, as well as will enjoy the sound of the euphonious melodies of the region.
Interestingly, the restored Holy Temple of St. Andrew which was rebuilt by Russian monks in the homonymous village in 1819. The Holy Temple of Prophet Elijah is also historical. In 1872 it was located in Palaia Avli, in a settlement at the foot of Mount Paggaio, in complete harmony with its natural environment, the Holy Temple of St. George in Mesoropi dating back to1836 and many others.
In addition, the Pilgrimage to Virgin Mary in N.Iraklitsa is one of the greatest Pilgrimages of the Prefecture of Kavala. In the centre of the village, the majestic historic Holy Temple of Panagia Faneromeni (www.panagiairaklitsa.gr), a five- aisled basilica dominates, in which the miraculous image of Virgin Mary is kept and which according to tradition has been painted by Luke the Evangelist.
On the day of the feast of the Holy Temple, on the Novena of Virgin Mary, the area hosts one of the largest pilgrimages and trade fairs throughout Northern Greece .